Interesting upcoming event on April 21st at Georgetown University about "Digital Power and Its Discontents." It's described as: "A one-day conference exploring the ways digital technologies disrupt the balance of power between and among states, their citizens and the private sector." Evgeny Morozov of Georgetown's Institute for the Study of Diplomacy, which is organizing the event, was kind enough to invite me to participate on the first panel of the day. And I see that my fellow TLF blogger Jerry Brito of the Mercatus Center will be on another panel. Other panelists include: John Morris of CDT, Micah Sifry of the Personal Democracy Forum, Mark MacCarthy of Georgetown Univ., Rebecca MacKinnon, Joel Reidenberg of Fordham Law, Amb. Philip Verveer, and several others.
The event will be held on Wednesday, April 21, 2010 from 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Georgetown University Mortara Center for International Affairs. (3600 N Street, N.W.) Go to the website to RSVP. You'll find the complete agenda down below. It sounds like a terrific event. RSVP here.
10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Panel 1: - Who's afraid of the "data deluge": Making sense of emerging threats to democracy, freedom, and social life
- Joel Reidenberg, Fordham University School of Law
- Adam Thierer, Progress and Freedom Foundation
- John Morris, Center for Technology and Democracy
- Moderator: Noam Cohen, The New York Times
12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m. - Lunch
1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Panel 2: The Internet and the citizen: From confusion to empowerment?
- Micah Sifry, Personal Democracy Forum
- Jerry Brito, Mercatus Center, George Mason University
- Danielle Brian, Project on Government Oversight (tbc)
- Moderator: Brendan Greeley, The Economist
3:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Panel 3: An Internet of one's own? International perspectives on Internet regulation
- Amb. Philip Verveer, U.S. Coordinator for International Communications & Information Policy
- Mark MacCarthy, Georgetown University
- Rebecca MacKinnon, Princeton University
- Moderator: Evgeny Morozov, Yahoo! Fellow, ISD
RSVP by clicking the following link: http://www12.georgetown.edu/sfs/rsvp/index.cfm?Action=View&EventID=2877